There is probably only a handful of people, if not totally none, that have yet to use a disposable cup in civilized countries. A disposable cup is a must-have particularly in the fast food industry considering that it is the most convenient way to pack a beverage. People who are always on-the-go can be seen with disposable cups in hand containing their daily caffeine fix, tea, milk, or other favorite beverage. Disposable cups are even becoming more and more important among household, especially those who love to have barbecues and other impromptu gatherings at home. Disposable cups provide convenience and easy-clean-up since one only has to throw them out and the cleaning is done.
Unfortunately, since there is an increasing sense of environmental awareness nowadays, a lot of people are slowly but surely becoming aware of the bad side of using disposable items/utensils, not only disposable cups. It is not difficult to get acquainted on this realty since disposable items particularly those made from non-biodegradable materials are piling up and filling landfills everywhere since they do not decompose until centuries have passed causing numerous environmental problems.
While a lot of individuals will conclude that constant use of disposable cups can hurt the environment it is important to note that only non-biodegradable cups harm the environment; that people actually have options to use biodegradable disposable cups. Here are just some of the upsides of using cups made from biodegradable materials:
- Biodegradable cups are made from natural and renewable resources such as corn and potato, among others. This means that creating such cups are sustainable and beneficial to a lot of farmers and agricultural workers.
- Biodegradable cups can readily decompose unlike cups made from paper, plastic or Styrofoam. Typically, biodegradable cups can decompose in matter of thirty to forty-five day in a commercial composting facility while those that are non-biodegradable takes hundreds of years to even start breaking down.
- Biodegradable cups are able to tolerate heat up to 49-degree Celsius which makes it ideal for drinking hot beverages.
- Biodegradable cups have a plastic-like consistency; thus, providing the perks of using plastic cups without the harm it brings to the environment.
- Biodegradable cups are safe when placed inside the freezer and do not contain any allergens.
The list above contains just some of the top advantages of using biodegradable cups. It is important for disposable cups users to keep in mind that while enjoying convenience is a priority there should be some thinking involve in the process of acquiring disposable items. Ensuring the welfare of the environment should be a sufficient enough reason to purchase biodegradable cups instead of non-biodegradable ones.